Friday, April 6, 2012

The evolution of the box blouse

The box blouse, it is literally two rectangles sewn with four seams, two side seams and two shoulder seams. It is honestly the most simple top I've ever sewn. Whenever I get bored I make one. Perhaps that is why I have sewn about 30 of them. Box blouses are very comfortable, they fit everyone, and they typically only take 3/4 yard. Come into Yellow Bird and I'd be happy to show you how to make one.

The original box blouse:add stripes
add lace and beads
add a scoop neck
add a yoke
add some flowers
add ribbing to the sleeves and hem
add kimono sleeves
add a bow
add a tie
Thank you Jamie for taking theses photos. You are wonderful.
If any of you are looking for a fantastic photographer, look no further: jamiechristensenphoto.blogspot.com

7 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! These are so fabulous Amy! I love them all! I think I might just have to whip one out for myself today! Thanks a bunch for the inspiration!
    xoxo, Sunni

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you saw this because you were the one that gave me the idea to get photographs of some of my tops. They aren't anything special, but sometimes it is nice to have a mindless sewing project. Thank YOU for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have made three box blouses and love love love them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your box blouses, They look great on you! I have to sew one!
    Maider

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! I definitely recommend sewing one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely adorable! Great idea to ward of boredom and in my case.. "what is there for me to eat" syndrome. One question though... how do you get the measurements?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question. I'm sorry I failed to mention that.

      You basically need 2 measurements; your length and your width. To determine the length, measure how long you would like your box blouse then add 2 inches for shoulder seam allowance and hem (I always use 1/2 inch seam allowances and typically do a 1 inch hem). To determine your width, take your widest measurement. For me, my hips are the largest. For others, it may be their waist or bust. Regardless, you take that widest measurement and divide it in half then add 3 inches for side seam allowances and ease.

      Now you have your length and width, cut two rectangles to those dimensions.

      The other 2 measurements you need are for your head and arm holes. I typically make the opening of my neckline 22 inches around and my arm holes measure 14 inches around. The way I got those dimensions is simple, I have a 22 inch head circumference and the largest part of my arms measure 13 inches around.

      To mark your neckline and arm holes is simple. Center an 11 inch measurement across the top of on both rectangles. Leaving them both open 11 inches will create a 22 inch opening for your head. Then measure 7 1/2 inches on the top right and left hand corners of your sides (the extra 1/2 inch is for the shoulder seam allowance). After sewing your side seams, you should have a 14 inch opening on each side for your arms.

      I hope the was helpful. Let me know if you have more questions.

      Delete