Monday, October 14, 2013

Maxi Skirt Love

Many ladies have come into the shop and asked about how to go about making a maxi skirt - the on trend knit maxi's of the moment - so I thought I would do a few posts and tutorials on this subject. A maxi skirt, just to set the record straight, is basically any full-length skirt. These were quite popular in the 70s when they would be seen sported with some wicked platforms. A maxi can be made out of any fabric, not just knit. I'll be focusing on tutorials for knitwear, but I may consider doing some for wovens too (we'll see what you think). Today I thought I would just share some ideas and inspiration with you to get you thinking about and pining for a maxi. This is such an easy garment to make, wear and manipulate that its a suitable project even for a beginner. In fact, wonderfully suitable for a beginner. Still a satisfying sew for an intermediate or advanced sewer too. Alright, here we go!
I usually start with vintage sewing patterns via Etsy when I'm in the mood for inspiration. I have a soft spot for the 70s and since this is what I think of when I think of maxi skirts I thought it only appropriate to share some fun ones here. I'm loving the one on the right with the yoke - pretty cute right?
I'm loving the swirly/70s boho chic look here on the left and being a hick from the sticks myself, I have a love for all things country, so the one on the right totally fits with something I could see myself wearing. I love that check!!!
When thinking about maxi's, I especially love the floaty, flowy aspect and these two skirts definitely fit that idea. So pretty. Kind of ethereal.
These knit maxi's are also lovely. The one on the left looks incredibly comfortable and the one on the right makes use of the bias with those pretty fab stripes. Easy, fall, cosy.

You can find all the links to these photos on my pinterest board, especially for maxi's. What do you think about maxi skirts? Have you thought about making one this fall?

No comments:

Post a Comment