Monday, February 22, 2010

Challenged

I recently watched the movie "Julie & Julia." In the movie Julie Powell, played by Amy Adams, sets a goal to cook all of the recipes in Julia Child's "Mastering the Art of French Cooking." Over 500 recipes in 365 days, an impossible feat for culinary disaster like myself. I don't cook, but I redeem myself in the domestic department with my sewing. I was inspired by a customer, Ellen Switzer, she set a goal to make 2 dresses a month. I am not going to limit myself to dresses, but I do want to sew at least 1 garment per month. This is what I have done this month.
I LOVE this fabric! I just finished making this sheath dress today. It is made out of an Ana Sui wool burnout. I had never even seen a wool burnout until last September. It is such a technical and couture fabric. I wanted to make something very simple to show off the subtle beauty of this fabric. I'm sorry I am not a great model and my camera is not great either. To fully appreciate this fabric you really have to come into the store and see it for yourself.
My husband hates this dress, my big Liz Claiborn glasses, and more than anything my Frye boots. Naturally, I love all of these things and pair them all together. This dress is made from a reversible wool jacquard. It reminds me of my favorite Icelandic band, Sigor Ros. The style of the dress is simple, but it makes me feel rich, like I'm about to go skiing in Aspen.
This skirt was made from a remnant piece of Vera Wang cotton and lycra. There was not enough fabric to do more than a very simple strait skirt. I love the color combination and the comfort of this skirt. I'm sad that we no longer have this cotton in stock, but we do have this same pattern in a silk chiffon. I'm thinking about making something out of it soon.

5 comments:

  1. Amy, you are so cute. I love the dresses. I wish I could sew and make my own clothes. You inspire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These pieces are so great! Especially the wool jacquard dress. Can we do a summer shoot next time I'm in Utah?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys. You inspire me!

    ReplyDelete