Monday, March 26, 2012

Pattern Review: Retro Butterick B5605

I selected this pattern because I loved the back of this dress and I have been wanting to sew a dolman sleeve like this for a while. I have not sewn one since college and I was weary, but it was so simple. The only problem with this type of sleeve, is that it is sewn into the princess seams so it is hard to adjust the fit.
I altered a few things in this pattern. First and most noticeable, I made a straight skirt instead of the full skirt. This was because I only had 2 yards of fabric. Second, I took out the center seam. The print on my fabric is so big that adding another seam would make it look odd. Third, I shortened the sleeves by about 2 inches. The original hem of the sleeve hit at an unflattering place on my arms. Forth, I took it in almost an inch on each side. I should have cut a size smaller because I think this pattern sews a little big.
The only other recommendation I would give is to bring the neckline in the back up an inch or two. This is so you won't have to pin your bra to a set of spanks. I didn't bring the neckline up because the back is my favorite part of the dress. Now I speak from experience when I say pinning your bra to your spanks is not a problem until you have to go to the bathroom. Good luck and happy sewing!

8 comments:

  1. super cute, amy! the fabric is beautiful and it fits you perfectly! i like it a lot.

    ha ha! good to know!! i've never thought to do that before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, that wiggle dress is amazing! Great job and great choice of fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely fabric and fit...and I really like your glasses on you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for the kind words. As far as my glasses go, I have to tell everyone what a great deal I got. I got them for free at http://www.coastal.com/glasses/cCouponEligibleGlasses.html I paid $5 for the shipping and that was all. I was super excited.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! I have this pattern and I may have to pick it up again. I set it aside after construction issues but I'd love to give it another go.

    Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in love with this dress! It looks great with the straight skirt, the belt is adorable, and the fabric is to die for. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks again ladies! Good luck Melizza. I was a little frustrated at first too. I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete